A good first song is crucial for an album to resonate… Here are my top twenty album opening tracks in “mix tape” form:
- The Beatles – “A Hard Day’s Night”
That chord. That song. SUCKED IN.
- The Get Up Kids – “Holiday”
Pick scrapes get me going.
- Weezer – “Tired of Sex”
Bass baby, bass baby. FEEDBACK.
- Boston – “More than a Feeling”
One acronym with three letters: M.I.T.
- Guster – “Great Escape”
Two guitars, two voices, & several sore fingers from hand drumming.
- Finch – “New Beginnings”
The polar opposite of Guster and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Jimmy Eat World – “Bleed American”
Mainstream America, here’s Jimmy Eat World!
- Silverchair – “Across The Night”
The best song from the best live band I’ve ever seen.
- The Who – “Overture / It’s a Boy”
I’ve yet to see a broadway musical that I enjoy more than “Tommy”.
- IAmDynamite – “Where will we Go”
The video will make you dizzy, but the harmonies will make you smile.
- Sunny Day Real Estate – “Killed by an Angel”
- I the Mighty – “The Dreamer”
I saw this band open for Armor for Sleep a few years ago and I was blown away by their musicianship.
- blink-182 – “Anthem, Pt. 2”
The best track from their best album.
- Billy Talent – “This is how it Goes”
Not. For. The. Faint. Of. Heart.
- Superdrag – “Keep it Close to Me”
The most underrated track from the most underrated band’s most underrated album.
- Something Corporate – “I want to Save You”
SoCo, you sure did.
- Acceptance – “Take Cover”
I still think that this track should’ve been the single.
- The Used – “Maybe Memories”
Scream, Dracula, Scream!
- Against Me! – “New Wave”
Come on and wash these shores away.
- Ben Folds Five – “Narcolepsy”
Epic album OPENER.
Thanks for reading this. Thanks for reading / listening to my opening song list. Xo.
Follow us on Snapchat: @ConcertCrap
Or click the “Follow” link on the bottom right corner and type in your email to get updates sent directly to your inbox.